[Tutor] Windows Programs

Tim Johnson tim@johnsons-web.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:44:23 -0900

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

> Theres a good reason for that - its very hard to write windows programs
> compared to DOS ones!
>
> :-)
>
> > and can never find out how to create programs for windows.
>
> In Python you want to look at one of the GUI toolkits.
> The one that comes as standard with Python is Tkinter and
> there is a good tutorial linked from the Python Web site
> under the Tkinter area. There is also a book available.
>
> However Tkinter is not much like most windows tookits so
> if you want to use MFC or Delphi or even VB later you
> probably want to look at wxWindows and its Python version
> or maybe even the GTk bindings. But there are not nearly
> so well documented for a beginner.

> No, avoid assembly like the plague for GUI programming!
>
> As a very lightweight intro to GUI programming try the
> event driven pages of my online tutor and the latter
> section of the case study. (I'm toying with the idea
> of adding a Tkinter topic to the tutor to explain it
> better)
==>>
	I would strongly urge Alan to follow this course,
	(if you have the time, Alan).
Perhaps you may wish to
cover both of tkinter and wxWindows?

I have found much material in the Sams book of an
introductory nature, and much in depth with the Grayson.
The problem I have found with both is that modifications to
existing code is difficult. some of the documentation seems
contradictory and counter-intuitive.

Building on this could be helpful to the learner. Given the
relentless increase in clock speed, the overhead associated with
interpreters is becoming less of an issue and many users are
would be open to full-fledged "windows" applications driven
by Python.
--
Tim Johnson