[Tutor] integration of polynomials in Python

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue, 1 May 2001 23:20:42 -0700

>  What can I do to make it integrate?

Oh geez, I had calculus in 1976. If I get it wrong, don't yell too loudly. :)

A simple integral is simply the reverse of the differential.

So, given the equation:

2x^2 + 4x + 3 = 0

The differential would be:

4x + 4

For that equation, the process would be something like:

The first exponent coefficient (you call this 'deg') is 1; it will be
increased 1 to 2;
You also divide by the new coefficient:

Thus:

  (4/2)x^2 + (4/1)x + k = 2x^2 + 4x + k

There's always a k (because that x^0 component drops off when you do
the differential).
--
_Deirdre     Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com      http://deirdre.net
                                                          - Douglas Adams