[Tutor] range

Julieta Rangel julieta_rangel@hotmail.com
Thu, 03 May 2001 18:27:25 -0500

I have the following program but when I run it it only runs half-ways.  It
displays a message of out of range.  Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

class Poly:
    def __init__ ( self, v='x' , c = [0]):
        """__init__():
        Initializes a polynomial
        Default variable is x
        Default polynomial is zero"""
        self.var = v
        self.coef = c
        self.deg = len(c)-1
        self.length = len(c)
    def __str__ (self):
        """__str__():
        Converts a polynomial into a string"""
        x = `self.coef[0]`
        for i in range (1,self.deg+1):
            x = x + "+" +`self.coef[i]` + self.var + "^" + `i`
        return x

    def integrate(self):
        """Input:  an instance of a polynommial
        Output: a polynomial that is the integral of the input
polynomial
        Side Effects: None"""

    	coef=[0]
        self.deg= self.deg +1
        for i in range(0,self.deg):
            coef.append(self.coef[i]/float(i+1))
        self.coef= coef

    def Derivative(self):
        """Input: an instance of a polynomial
    	Output: a polynomial that is the derivative of the input polynomial
        side Effects: None"""
    	coef=[1]
    	self.deg= self.deg +1
    	if self.deg==0:
     	   coef=[0]
    	else:
           for i in range(0,self.deg-1):
              coef.append((i+1)*self.coef[i+1])
        self.coef= coef

degree = input('Enter the degree of your polynomial')
coef=[]
for i in range (0,degree + 1):
    coefficient = input('Enter the coefficient for x^ %i ? ' %i)
    coef.append(coefficient)

s= Poly (c = coef)
m= Poly (c = coef)
s.integrate()
m.Derivative()
print "the integral of your polynomial is:"
print "c +",s
print "the derivative of your polynomial is:",m

Julieta