[Tutor] urlretrieve

Mark A. Tobin Mark A. Tobin" <mtobin@bigfoot.com
Fri, 4 May 2001 11:32:08 -0400

Hi again,
first I want to thank everybody who helped explain the whole self thing as
it has to do with classes, I think I'm slowly getting the idea.
second I'm having a problem with urlretrieve() and I'm not even sure where
the problem resides.  Maybe some of you python/windows people out there
might be able to help.
I'm running two systems both Win95, one runs 1.5.2, and one 2.0.  Both
systems are similarly configured, at least as far as I know to look.  When I
do this:
>>>from urllib import urlretrieve
>>>urlretrieve("http://www.ihrg.com/nssnet/default.htm", "test.htm")
('test.htm', <mimetools.Message instance at 007EABDC>)
it looks like it worked right?
well on the system using 1.5.2 it does work, I get that webpage, intact,
saved in the appropriate file.  However, on the other system (running python
2.0) I get a webpage giving me a standard Proxy authorization required
message instead of the page I'm looking for:
Proxy authorization required
Username authentication is required for using this proxy.  Either your
browser does not perform proxy authorization, or your authorization has
failed.

I wondered whether it was that specific server so I tried with python.org
and got the same message.
Both systems use the same dialup ISP connection, and as far as I know there
certainly is no Proxy associated with either system.  I have never had to do
anything proxy associated during any setup process, and when I grab that
file with IE5 it works like a charm.

Any suggestions?  I wasn't really sure what info might be relevant, so I may
not have provided everything a diagnostician might need.  I don't even
really know where to look....

Looking for help (again... sigh),

Mark