[Tutor] Possible Useless Python Challenge.

Tesla Coil tescoil@irtc.net
Sun, 06 May 2001 00:17:41 -0500

Wondering about this as a possible Useless Python
Challenge.  I'd feel a little guilty suggesting it,
as I'm uncertain how difficult a task it is, but
really, Gilbert Roulot is moreso to blame. ;)

Roulot is the author of the Foks Linux KiSS viewer.
On the homepage, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/issarlk/Foks/
Roulot lists among "Features and technical stuff" that
Foks is "written in the GNU Sather language. The best
language there is to write KiSS viewers (IMNSHO)!"

It doesn't appear this has ever been demonstrated
incorrect by a better KiSS viewer being written
in Python--for that matter, any KiSS viewer being
written in Python.

A KiSS viewer could prove a somewhat larger app than
would be considered "Useless Python," but it probably
qualifies in that one would be writing it perhaps more
to have it done in Python than need for the utility of
Yet Another program with which to play paperdolls...

KiSS data sets are bundled using LZH compression,
if there's a module for that, I haven't located it.
I suppose that a cel file decoder could be cooked up
using Python Imaging Library, but I've no experience
in that department at all.  Other than that, I guess
one is up against reading .cnf files generated by a
variety of editors and sometimes written by hand.

More introduction & file specs can be found at
http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~yav/kiss/indexe.html