[Tutor] 15 puzzle

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 10:10:10 +0100

> How old is 2.0 now? 8 months? We can't keep giving 1.5.2
> solutions forever

Normal commercial vendor arrangements is to support the last
2 versions thus on the next major release(ie 2.2?) we could
drop "support" for 1.5 (assuming 1.6 doesn't count!)

OTOH Many companies including mine will not upgrade more than
once per year and then only to the (current - 1) version. Thus
the most recent version of Python I can use is 1.5.1 and we won't
upgrade till July, probably to 2.0...

So on that basis we should offer support for at least 1
calander year after a version is superceded.

Given the pace of change in open source software I'd favour
the later option.

Just my two cents,

Alan G