[Tutor] Text Editor?

Michael Reilly arcege@speakeasy.net
Thu, 10 May 2001 13:07:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Pijus Virketis wrote:

> I am not sure why no one has mentioned the IDLE yet (is there some reason of
> which I, in my newbieism, am not aware of? :)). Check it out at
> http://www.python.org/idle/. It is cross-platform, obviously designed to work
> with Python, written by Guido and generaly quite nice. The only problem, of
> course, that it's still in development (current version with 2.0 is 0.6, and
> with 2.1 I think it's 0.8?): so you could get some exotic errors once in a
> while.

Two simple reasons for myself.  I do a lot of different types of file
editing, Python included.  For this reason, it is a lot better for my to
use one common editor (using vi or vim).  The other reason is that idle
hasn't been all that configurable or that well documented.  One peeve I
have about it is the amount of indentation introduced.

But that is just me.  Choice of editors is usually very personal.

  -Arcege