[Tutor] 15 puzzle

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 17:06:39 -0400

[alan.gauld@bt.com]
> So on that basis we should offer support for at least 1
> calander year after a version is superceded.

Who is "we"?

> Given the pace of change in open source software I'd favour
> the later option.
>
> Just my two cents,

Which is a lot more than the Python developers charged you <wink>.  As far as
Guido is concerned, support for a version ends the instant the next version
is released.  This isn't to be difficult, it's a necessary compromise with
the reality of finite time clashing with unbounded demands.

IOW, the "we" above won't include PythonLabs; even bugfix updates for the
current release will have to be done by volunteers or not at all.  Moshe
Zadka kindly volunteered to produce a bugfix release for 2.0, and Thomas
Wouters for 2.1, but no such release has yet happened so it's too soon to say
whether this will suffice.

could-be-there's-a-business-opportunity-here-but-if-so-it-will-
    require-a-business-to-pursue-it<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim