[Tutor] Linux help required

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun, 13 May 2001 20:21:38 -0700

>I've just been contacted by a user of my web tutor complaining
>that the zip file can't be opened by gunzip under Linux. I have
>now used cygwin(*) to create a tgz file and would like a volunteer
>with Linux to test it for me.

zip files should be opened with unzip, not gunzip. This is "works as
designed" and anyone confused needs to read the man pages. :)

Gunzip can create and extract single-file zip archives, but they
aren't compatible with the typical zip archives that contain multiple
files.

Basically, tar is the archiver of choice for Unix and Compress or
gzip is the compressor. On Windows, *both* are done with zip
utilities.
--
_Deirdre     Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com      http://deirdre.net
Macintosh Developer (seeking work): Will work for Cocoa