[Tutor] Manuals/books

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:04:38 +0200

On  0, Hermit <hermit@erie.net> wrote:
> I am new to this mailing list and have interest in learning Python.  I am
> a Linux user (Red Hat distro), and would appreciate the advice from
> the seasoned Python programmers on this list as to which book to buy so I
> can have a learning tool as I attempt to learn Python.

> I have been a fan of the O'Reilly books for some time now, but also noted
> "Learn to Program Using Python" by Alan Gauld.  I get the impression that
> Mr. Gauld is the local Python guru around here.

He's one of many Python experts around here. I'd call Tim Peters the guru :)

> I am a beginner, and seek the recommendations of those who would recommend
> a good starter book.

So, never programmed before, Linux user.

"Learn to Program Using Python" teaches programming concepts for the
complete beginner. Most of what's in the book is also on his website
(http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/) so even if you prefer paper books you
can look there first to see if you like the content.

However, what do you want to use Python for? If you want to write scripts to
automate things for you in the shell, for instance, Alan's book has no
examples on that. It's a programming course, not a sysadminning book :).
I like "Learning Python", it has examples at the end for all kinds of small
file tasks, Internet things, and so on - but it may well be hard if you
don't have any programming experience.

There are other books, the Quick Python Book, Teach Yourself Python in 24
Hours, Core Python Programming - I haven't read them. A pretty complete list
of Python books with reviews and links to sample chapters etc is at
http://www.amk.ca/bookstore/python.html .

So if you're a complete newbie and it's no problem to buy a few other books
later on as well, just go for Learn to program using Python. If you don't
want many books are have programming experience already, it's probably best
to look through several online tutorials, see if you have problems and what
you want to do, and then buy a book.

--
Remco Gerlich