[Tutor] Total Programming Newbie

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 16:59:48 +0100

> ... From what I've read, I should use a book, study
> the code of others (copy? Make changes? Improvise?),
> and do lots of practice.

That's about it, yes. Personally I find the best way to
take the examples in the book(s) and extend them - initially
just change a value or two, print a message somewhere,
then as you learn more make the changes bigger. Try to
make the programs interactive, or more reliable by checking
for error conditions etc...

> in 2-3 hours a day (more on the weekends)

2-3 hours hands on is probably about right. Going too fast
can be a bad thing. You need time to let the underlying concepts
sink in.

> I use the book for an hour or so and then use the remaining
> time to code?

Yes thats probably OK. Personally I read a bit, code a bit,
read a bit more, code a bit... Let your curiosity take over,
if you wonder "what if" try it... Don't get bogged down if
something doesn't work after 2 or 3 attempts, move on and
come back to the problem later.

> I'm merely going over my exercises and examples and making
> changes to them (incorporating what I know; sorta like
> improvising). Is this ok?

Yes. IMHO its the berst way of doing it.
I also like to see alternative explanations. Since you have
Ivan's book try taking a look at the equivalent topics on
my web tutor for a different way of saying the same thing
(and some other programming ideas). It will also show you
the same concepts in 2 other languages, which I personally
believe helps reinforce the underlying principles.

http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld

HTH,

Alan G