[Tutor] PyXML Help?

Michael P. Reilly arcege@speakeasy.net
Tue, 15 May 2001 07:25:17 -0400 (EDT)

Jethro Cramp wrote

> On Monday 14 May 2001  7:12 am, Scott Ralph Comboni wrote:
> > I have a need to work with XML files mainly parsing.  Can anybody point
> > me to some examples on the web above and beyond the HowTO?
> > Thanks Scott
>
> Try the book "XML Processing with Python" by Sean Mcgrath. See the site
> www.pyxie.org for details.
>
> Jethro

I got the book because I didn't know XML well.  The book added nothing
to my XML knowledge - and nothing to the usage Python's XML librarys.
The (even proclaimed) purpose of book is to promote the author's own
Python package, not Python's standard xmllib or other's (I think he
has one chapter on standard xml package).  The introduction declares
that the reader should have a through knowledge of XML and the book
does not even give a good cursory overview.  While that's not a sin,
it is certainly misleading.

I'd never recommend that book.  I'd suggest O'Reilly's "Learning XML" and
reading the Python documentation and XML-SIG.  You'd be better off IMO.
(At least the O'Reilly has the definition of XML components and DTD to
refer to if you need them.)

  -Arcege

| Michael P. Reilly                | arcege@speakeasy.net              |