[Tutor] where to start

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Wed, 16 May 2001 12:28:49 -0700

At 3:00 AM -0700 5/16/01, Daniel Yoo wrote:
>Roeland's advice sounds like a "top-down" approach to writing a program.
>I'll play Devil's advocate for a moment.  *grin*

Last night I had a series of nightmares involving last night's Angel
episode (how could they kill the Host! He was my favorite character!)
and the Objective-C library I'm trying to learn. It was very strange.

When I woke up, I'd solved one of my design problems. Nevertheless, I
don't recommend sleep as a design tool.

>Both of us agree in small "functional" programs because we understand our
>own humanity: sometimes, a program is just too large to hold in one's
>head.  Small functions help us to handle the complexity of large problems
>without mental stress.
>
>The moderate approach, doing both "top-down" and "bottom-up" is probably
>the better approach though.

And, always remember Fred Brooks' advice: plan on throwin one away.
--
_Deirdre     Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com      http://deirdre.net
Macintosh Developer (seeking work): Will work for Cocoa