[Tutor] New to programming

Rob Andrews randrews@planhouse.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 11:14:11 -0500

Ah, a question easy enough for even me to answer!

Python is really easy to read, even if you wrote the program weeks ago or it
was written by someone else. That alone makes it good. It also comes "with
batteries included", referring to the over 200 built-in modules included to
handle common tasks (even some fairly deep stuff).

People tend to learn Python very quickly in comparison with other languages.
It's enough like C and similar languages that you aren't learning a bunch of
things that will seriously trip you up when you start moving into other
languages (despite some esoteric arguments I've heard). There's also the
GREAT community of Python users out there who are happy to help answer
questions and solve problems. And, unlike some other good first languages,
Python is a general-purpose language, so it can be used to code a wide
variety of programs instead of specializing in something like Regular
Expressions or Database Access. Oh, and if you want to learn Object-Oriented
programming, Python is fantastic for making the process of learning it just
about painless.

I could go on and on, but there's plenty of time for that.

Rob

Got Python?
http://www.lowerstandard.com/python/pythonsource.html