[Tutor] How Can Install Python 2.0 and 2.1 on the same machine?

Rob Andrews robnospam@jam.rr.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 07:06:07 -0500

Karim Yaici wrote:

> > I may be wrong, but I'd wager that if you had a copy of myprogram.py in
> > your C:\Python21 folder (even if C:\Python20 owned the file
> > association), and you go to your command prompt (DOS prompt, as some
> > still call it), cd into C:\Python21 and tell it to
> >
> > C:\Python21 > python myfile.py
> >
> > Then the Python installed in that folder will execute the script by that
> > name.
>
> True, I can easily do that with my editor, but the problem is that when you
> install Python 2.1, this will overrride the settings, so to summerise my
> situation :
> Though my Python Path is using Python 2.0 (basicaly when you type in the Dos
> prompt: Python you'll get V2.0), however, when you click on a py (or pyw)
> file then Python 2.1 is used (which I don't want if I don't tell it so
> ;-) ).
>
> > I've had less than one cup of coffee yet, so I might have made all this
> > up by mistake,
>
> Enjoy your coffee, I've just finished my pizza ;-)
>
> Karim

Do you know how to go into Windows Explorer and change the file
association for the .py, .pyc, and .pyw files? If so, you can tell
Windows to use 2.0 instead of 2.1 by default, but only one of them at a
time can own the association.

Is your Python Path unfriendly to Python 2.1?

Rob
--

You should have listened when your mother warned you about
Useless Python!