[Tutor] line labels?

Lance E Sloan lsloan@umich.edu
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:49:15 -0400

Does Python support labelling lines of code?  I was just in the
middle of supporting some Perl poorly-written by somebody else
when I saw constructs like this:

  while0:
  while(1) {
    do something...

    while1:
    while (&read_input) {
      do something...

      if (condition) {
        last while1;
      }
    }

    if (condition) {
      last while0;
    }
  }

I know that C has something like this and you can use "goto" statements.
Personally, I consider using those labels in Perl and C to be bad
form and "goto" is just plain heinous.

I'm really enjoying learning Python.  I hope it doesn't have this
feature.  I think it would allow programmers to develop bad habits and
hard-to-maintain code.  For example, in the Perl example above, I
think the code would work as it is if the labels were deleted.

--
Lance E Sloan
Web Services, Univ. of Michigan: Full-service Web and database design,