[Tutor] How Can Install Python 2.0 and 2.1 on the same machin e?

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Wed, 23 May 2001 11:32:26 -0400

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 09:54:13AM -0500, Rob Andrews wrote:

| > You can also creayte a new right click menu item to run
| > in either version of Python - say run2.0 and run2.1.
| >
| > That way you can click on any Python file and choose which
| > version of the interpreter to run it with...
| >

| I must learn this trick. I know more arcane Windows features than anyone
| else I know, but this one is new to me.

(I have a win2k box in front of me now so all steps are accurate for
 win2k,  win9x uses a slightly different naming scheme for menus and
 buttons but it is fairly similar and I will try my best to remember
 the right names)

1:  open windows explorer  (or is that internet explorer?  can't tell
                            the difference nowadays anyways)

2:  Tools->Folder Options  (IIRC win9x has this under the 'View' menu)

3:  click the "File Types" tab

4:  scroll down to  "PY  Python File"  (it has the icon too, they're
                                        alphabetical)

5:  Here it makes a difference which windows :
        win2k -- click the "Advanced" button
        win9x -- click the "edit" or some similar button

6:  Click the "New" button in the dialog that pops up

7:  give the action a name (ie run2.0 as suggested by Alan)

8:  give the action a command (ie c:\python20\python.exe)

9:  click "Ok"

10: again (click "Ok")

11: one more time -- did we use enough dialogs yet?

12: right-click on a .py file to see/verify that a new entry exists in
    the popup menu

-D