[Tutor] starting from scratch.

Rob Andrews rob@jam.rr.com
Sun, 27 May 2001 11:32:04 -0500

Steve Mallett wrote:

> I've decided to take up programming and choosen to start with Python (after
> some research).
>
> One thing that is not terribly clear is if I should've started somewhere else
> & let that lead me to Python.
>
> Q's
> 1) I know this list is for beginners, but for scratch beginners?
> 2) Will I benefit from starting with "Learning Python" from O'Reilly?
> Someone told me to start with learning shell scripting, but I wonder if
> that's not a bias'd opinion.
> 3) Should I start somewhere else & lead up to Python?

Python is a great place to start, really. And this list is usually
populated with any number of absolute beginners. If you have never
programmed in your life, I wouldn't recommend "Learning Python" as your
first book, but it might make a good second. "Learning to Program"
(http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/) is a great starting point, and you
can read a good sample of the material on the website while waiting for
your book to arrive.

There are links to quite a few tutorials and such on the Useless Python
site, which members of this list contribute to. Download any Python
distribution you wish, start working your way through a tutorial, and
ask us what's going on when you get stumped by something.

Enjoy!
Rob

--

Useless Python!