[Tutor] Python2 getting backspace key to work

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:49:35 -0500

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 02:40:38PM -0500, Ken Mead wrote:
| Hi list,
|
| I'm running debian, I have both python1.5 and now python2 on my machine,
| when using v.1.5* my backspace and arrow keys work to edit a line of code.

GNU readline is nice!

| However, when I use python2 when I hit backspace or arrow keys I get escape
| characters like ^B and so on.

The 'python2-base' package doesn't link against
GNU readline because of those icky license issues.  It is obsolete now
because 2.1 is out without the license problems, and Policy has
finally been made.

python2.1 is in sid now, and I recommend installing it.  It has none
of the license issues so it is linked against GNU readline.  The down
side is that not all of the libraries are converted to use python2.1
and conform to the new Policy, but they will be there soon.  In the
meantime use 1.5 if you need the extensions (ie pygtk) and use 2.1 if
you don't.

HTH,
-D