[Tutor] compiler

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 20:27:37 -0500

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 05:09:28PM -0800, john public wrote:

|  I think I just successfully downloaded python2.1
|  So I was going to compile and run "Hello World"
|  I can't seem to find the icon to get the compiler
|  up and running.

There is no compiler.  Python is interpreted, so there is no
compilation step.  Simply put the directory containing 'python.exe' in
your PATH (this may have been done by the installer, I don't know) and
run
    python myapp.py

where 'myapp.py' is the necessary path to your application's "main"
file.  (there is no "main" function, but the name can still be used
:-).  By "necessary path" I mean whatever relative or absolute path is
needed to identify the file from where you are (in the command
prompt).

|  I tried clicking on existing
|  programs that downloaded with python but it brought
|  up my dev c++ compiler not the python compiler.
|  Suggestions greatly appreciated.

This means the file type associates are not correct.  You were double
clicking on .py files, right?  If you want to have double-clicking on
a .py file try executing it, open up explorer and in the "options"
item in the "Tools" menu you can set the association of .py files to
be opened with "python.exe".  (I prefer to have my editor opened, but
you can do what you want with your system)

HTH,
-D