[Tutor] Vim scripting using Python? (Was "Re: Really Newbie!")

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:48:01 -0500

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 05:22:41PM +0100, programer@iquebec.com wrote:
| At 01:34 26/11/01 -0500, Andrei wrote:
| >The 2 most popular editors are vim (www.vim.org) and emacs (emacs.org).
| >I personally prefer vim, which is incidentally is also scriptable in
| >python, unlike emacs. However, both are rather complex, so if you don't
| >figure them out right away, you should probably use one of those
| >slightly souped-up editors like notepad+ or ultraedit.. They're almost
| >as simple as notepad but give you extra niceties like syntax
| >highlighting, etc.
|
| I know Vim, but I didn't know that it should be driven through
| Python-scripts.
|
| May you give some URL about it, please?

:help python

vim must have been compiled with python support enabled.  It can also
be scripted using perl, ruby, or tcl.

See

:version

Look for "+python".  If you see "-python" then your copy was compiled
without python support.

-D

(wow, the sigs are just a list of strings in a python script, and one
is chosen using randmon.choice().  In the last several messages I've
posted the sigs are actually related to the message)

--

(E)ighteen (M)egs (A)nd (C)onstantly (S)wapping