[Tutor] IDLE as battery included

Andrei Kulakov ak@silmarill.org
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:09:59 -0500

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 12:14:56PM -0800, Kirby Urner wrote:

> >IDLE must be more broken than I thought.  I tested it with the
> >interpreter running directly from a shell.  I don't have the idle
> >package installed.
> >
> >-D
>
> For all of its faults, I still consider IDLE one of those
> "batteries included" features.  For someone just trying to
> learn some Python, who isn't already a Vim or Emacs user,
> adding these high end editors to the learning curve is just
> a distraction.  IDLE gives you keyword color coding and
> a shell.  It's adequate, not stellar.  Gets the job done.

I think it'd be preferable to use some simple notepad-like editor with
syntax colors. I think notepad+ and ultraedit both have that.

> That cut 'n paste weirdness had never come up for me before

The problem is that when you type in blocks, they're unaligned, and that
just don't look right.

Besides, when a newbie is trying to follow the book and it don't work,
that ain't good either :P.

 - Andrei

get it at: cy.silmarill.org