[Tutor] Really Newbie! (fwd)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:00:40 -0000

> I created this batch file in c:\windows, and it is called
> 'python.bat'.
> it says exactly this:
>
> cd c:\python21
> python
>
> When I open the windows, it fires up python on command.

Unfortunately it also makes the current directory C:\python21
This means if you try to open a file it will look in the
python21 directory unless you give the full path.

If you set the PATH in AUTOEXEC you get the ability to start
python from any directory and it will look in that directory
for files etc - this makes for a much more flexible
environment IMHO.

Batch files are useful but they aren't always the best solution.

Alan G.