[Tutor] IDLE as battery included

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:02:07 -0500

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 06:44:09PM -0500, Andrei Kulakov wrote:
| On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 12:34:14PM -0000, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

| > If you are using number targets then turning on line numbering
| > helps a lot - then you can just use G....
| >
| > :set nu
|
| Yes, that's a good idea.. gg is even better, no reaching for the shift
| button ;P Too bad nu takes up alot of space on the left. 7 spaces even
| when the highest line nubmer takes only 2 spaces! I hope this can be
| changed somehow..

This is one of the main reasons I don't use that feature.  Also, I'm
not used to seeing the numbers on the left.

However, there was a patch posted to vim-dev recently to allow
adjusting the width of the column used for the numbers.  Care to test
it :-)?

| > A 10 year vi user :-)
| > And 12 year emacser... :-)

Is this in parallel or in series?  I learned 'vi' first, but I only
knew the basics and Sun's /bin/vi is horrible for coding.  Then I used
emacs for a while, but switched to vim when my labs were in a room
with windows and we weren't allowed to install anything (vim fits on a
floppy).  I very quickly forgot most of the emacs commands I knew, and
I also learned how to configure vim for comfortable coding.  I've
since tried some IDEs like Code Warrior, JBuilder, NetBeans, and Source
Navigator, but vim is still the best (IMO, obviously).

-D

--

The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.

I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.

        Jeremiah 17:9-10