[Tutor] IDLE as battery included

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:00:44 -0000

> | > A 10 year vi user :-)
> | > And 12 year emacser... :-)
>
> Is this in parallel or in series?

Parallel.

I tend to use emacs for heavy text creation and vi/vim for
text editing - search and movement etc is much nicer in vi.

Emacs is also better for C/C++ coding with the built in
integration with gdb and the coompiler(next error etc).

> emacs for a while, but switched to vim when my labs were in a room
> with windows and we weren't allowed to install anything

I started using vim(as opposed to vi) when I got a PC. For some
reason emacs doesn't feel right on a PC - which is odd given
that vi uses the OS commands much more than emacs does!

I now use NTnot which is a lightweight emacs for NT (notgnu
being the generic version name) but it doesn't syntax color :-(

But vim is now my most commonly used editor on the PC,
NTnot only gets started if I'm going to do some very long
plain text work - or something which will require fancy macros,
vim's macro capabilities are much harder for casual use than
emacs' C-X (.

BTW I just downloaded vim6 as a result of this thread.
Wow! Lots of changes, nearly all good. 'dired' for vi,
folding, and color schemes - thanks Kirby for IDLE.vim :-)

Alan G.