[Tutor] linux

Andrei Kulakov ak@silmarill.org
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:52:18 -0500

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:29:26PM -0500, Jeff Jones wrote:
> Sorry about getting off topic here, but beginning to learn programming through Python has peaked my interest in Linux. The only operating system I have ever used has been windows, and I've been using it since the DOS days (except for computer class in the 7th grade when we used apple IIc). Not by choice but because that's what has always been there when I turned the computer on. Getting to the point... Does anyone know of any decent FAQ's etc. for windows users not yet switched to Linux. Specifically, which version to use? Thanks in advance for any help.

I recommend Debian. I first started out with Slackware and spend
countless hours compiling and recompiling things, then I switched to
Debian and it just worked marvellously. The key advantage, I think, is
that Debian seems to have a package for everything and it downloads,
installs and sets it up for you after one command.

The one thing that I liked better in Slack was the init system, but you
don't often need that, and Deb's isn't all that horrible either.

 - Andrei

get it at: cy.silmarill.org