[Tutor] question

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:17:43 -0000

> But this metaphor is only somewhat correct.  If the whole
> point of the app is to do graphical stuff, and the interface
> is core to its functionality, then it's too dismissive to
> call it "cosmetic".  That being said, all the interface
> widgets in the world don't an interesting app make -- it's
> gotta actually DO something (right?).

I recall the look I got from a client once when trying to explain
why his heavily batch oriented server based project was costing
so much with so little to show for it - basically there were
just some primitive admin screens as a GUI.

I pointed out he was getting as much code as was in Excel
its just that Excel was all glitter and gloss on top of what
was basically a pocket caclulator replicated many times,
whereas he was getting a wild west style facade onto a
full blown factory.

His expression as he tried to think of Excel as being
"just a pocket calculator" was a picture (It was a
rather tongue in cheek explanation I must confess! :-)

Alan g.