[Tutor] Re: how do I sleep?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:22:30 -0000

> Since I have also found that VB programs (even on NT) require
> an occassional call to DoEvents, it is probably a defect
> in the VB runtime.

Nope its a defect in the NT kernel if you can do that. There is
catagorically no way that a VB app should be able to block
other processes on NT. I'd be interested to know under what
circumstances that happens. It *might* be feasible if operating
at ring 0 but that's not usually VB country!

I must confess I've seen the PCV slowed down by heavy CPU munching
but I've never seen NT lose scheduling completely. In the former
case the usual answer is to launch a seaparate thread for the CPU intensive
bit or simply lower the process priority.

Alan g.