[Tutor] Creating windows shortcuts with win32com.shell

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:57:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Reed, David wrote:

> I'm a looking for a module and method that will allow me to make
> Windows 2000 shortcut files or (lnk).  Do you have documentation or
> reference as to how to do this?

You might want to ask your question on the comp.lang.python newsgroup too
--- this might be too specialized a question, and I'm not sure if many of
us here are familiar with Win2k-specific stuff.

There's a web site that has reference documentation for Windows stuff:

but it looks really dense... searching... ah!

It looks like you'll want the IShellLink interface.  The win32all "Windows
Extensions" page mentions that you can make shortcuts with it:

"""IShellLink interface now supported in the "win32com.shell" extension,
which allows Python to create and/or resolve Windows "shortcut" files."""

Take a look at:

which talks about PyIShellLink objects: they appear to be what you're
looking for.