[Tutor] running programs

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:45:07 +0100

> most common option is to simply install python on that
> computer. If you want to save hd space, forget it:
> python is small and in py2exe and such
> it's simply packaged up into an executable - you don't
> save any space anyway.

For a single program that's not quite true since the
installers only install the barest bits of python needed.
(NO docs and only a few libs/modules) But if you install
several such programs you will conversely wind up taking
more space than if you just installed Python because you
get the same core elements installed multiple times!!

Finally, as I was going to add in my last message just
before Oulooks send key caught me out... You can always
combine the Python installer with your program as a kind
of super set installer. In fact some of the fancier installer
software would allow you to check the registry to see if
Python was already there and adapt as necessary.

Alan g