[Tutor] Curses module?

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:51:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, William Ryu wrote:

> I was interested in learning the curses module, but when I fired up my
> 2.1.1 session I couldn't import it:
>
> Python 2.1.1 (#20, Jul 20 2001, 01:19:29) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>  >>>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named curses
>  >>>

> Curiously, it's not anywhere to be found in /lib. I guess I'm missing
> something. Isn't the curses module supposed to be in the /lib folder, even
> for the Windows distribution?

There's a 'pdcurses' library that's supposed to be simliar to the standard
Unix curses library:

    http://www.mikroplan.com.pl/~mak/python/

although I'm not quite sure if this works well.  Does anyone else have
experience with it?  From scanning through the net, I've gotten the
impression that not many people are interested in curses programming, so
not much attention has been placed on making it work for Windows right out
of the box.  And that's a shame.

There's also a library specifically for Windows that sorta provides curses
behavior called 'console', written by Fredrik Lundh:

    http://w1.132.telia.com/~u13212494/efflib/console/

Good luck!