[Tutor] What is in future?

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 13:39:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Gregor Lingl wrote:
> Just another question:
>
> Is it possible to start up IDLE in a way, that 'true division' is
> alreay enabled? (Is there some sort of startup-script, where I can put
> in the import statement?)

If you add a file called sitecustomize.py in the Python library directory,
Python should import that file for you, so you can add some customizations
there.

However, I'm not sure if "from __future__ import division" can be set up
as a default using sitecustomize.py.  If it behaves anything like the
"nested_scope" directive, then the "division" directive is isolated to the
file that contains the directive.  That is, the "future" appears to only
affect the file that it's inside.

I could be completely wrong about this though.  *grin*