[Tutor] Re: Developing GUI-programs using IDLE

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:54:21 -0700

>version. If you use NT or Cygwin then you get the last
>command recall etc. So its quite usable...

Are you referring to Python in shell mode, or the
the OS command line?

Ordinary WinME (not sure about 95/98) has a doskey
buffer of previous command lines.  You can launch
doskey if it's not the default.

You can even do a kind of aliasing, ala bash, by
entering

   > doskey d = dir /w

or

   > doskey p = c:\python21\python $*

or whatever.  Then just go:

to get a dir, or

  > p myfile.py arg1 arg2

to run a Python script.

(there's a way to initialize all these upon hitting
the MSDOS icon too (Python Programming on Win32, by
Mark Hammond and Andy Robinson, O'Reilly, discusses
these little tricks)).

These are all ways of making the WinOS command line
more usable.  But the Python shell, without arrow-up,
is quasi-unusable as an IDE, in my experience.  But
maybe in NT or Cygwin this limitation goes away?

Kirby