[Tutor] AIML or ALICE implemented in Python? (fwd)

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:39:45 -0700 (PDT)

Dear John,

I think you meant to send this off to the Tutor list at: tutor@python.org.
I'll forward your post there.  Hope this helps!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:31:44 +0100
From: John Precedo <johnp@reportlab.com>
To: tutor-admin@python.org
Subject: AIML or ALICE implemented in Python?

Hi all.

I've been looking into Artificial Intelligence (after hearing about this
years Loebner Prize - it's a formalized Turing Test which happened at the
Science Museum in London this year).

Anyway, the winner was A.L.I.C.E - and she (or at least a de-personalized
version called alicebot) is Open Source software that anyone can download.
There is also AIML - the Artificial Intelligence Markup Language.

The good news is that both of these are Open Source, released under the GNU
General Public License. The bad news is that they  are written in Java.
(blech).

Does anyone know of an Alice port in Python? Or an implementation of AIML in
Python? Failing that, does anyone want to write one (and have the time and
the skill, both of which I lack)?

Considering the level of 'intelligence' currently in AI, could this be a
project for 'Useless Python'?

--
John Precedo  (johnp@reportlab.com)    Developer
Reportlab Europe Ltd  (http://www.reportlab.com)