[Tutor] Newbie with aspirations...

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:25:31 +0200

On  0, Chris Scott <kaffeen@mac.com> wrote:
> Howdy folks,
> Total newbie with high aspirations is looking for pointers on learning to
> program games in python. I've read it's a great language to learn, quick to
> pick-up, and very fast in terms of development time.

Yup.

> That said, can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial where I
> can start learning to program games? I have tried pygame.org, but now tuts
> there.

I don't know specific tutorials on learning to program games. One of the
obvious reasons is that programming games isn't, by itself, very different
from programming in general. It also depends on the type of game - a chess
program and Quake are both games, but they don't have much programming in
common.

In my opinion, you should follow the normal programming tutorials first.
After them, pick either a simple type of game that doesn't require much
graphics as a first project, or a graphical app that's not a game.

You'll need some sort of first project that you can handle; you can expand
it later so start very small. You can ask for hints here.

Once you know the basics a bit, also try to get into pygame as soon as you
can understand the things that are explained - pygame is really neat.

Actually, there is a link to a pygame tutorial on pygame.org, it explains
the very simple example game Chimp line by line. Expanding Chimp could be a
first project.

Generic Python tutorials for non-programmers are listed at
http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html .

> To date I've been working in Lingo (Macromedia Director's internal
> scripting language, looks quite similar to Python, actually...) Suggestions
> would be much appreciated, thanks!

I don't know Lingo. It's always good to know many languages (but try not to
confuse them when actually programming in one).

--
Remco Gerlich