[Tutor] Learning about other languages by using Python [S

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:07:45 -0400

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 03:55:56PM -0500, Chris Keelan wrote:

| On Thursday 25 October 2001 11:04, dman wrote:
|
| > There's the R5RS document.  It is the standard that defines the core
| > of scheme.  It stands for Revised Revised Revised Revised Revised
| > Reference on Scheme (or something like that).  It is not a tutorial in
| > any way.  It also shows that pure scheme isn't really useful for
| > real-world programming, but I know that the Guile people have added
| > lots to the library to make it useful.
| This is an amzing site, if you're new to programming. While I agree with dman
| that Python might be more useful for 'real world' stuff, Scheme is an

Upon reading this, my statement could sound like I'm condemming
Scheme.  I didn't intend to, and I think Scheme is pretty neat,
especially the tail-recursion optimization.  (I've heard of lisp
beating fortran in speed of number crunching!)

-D