[Tutor] new Linux Installation

Stephen L Arnold sarnold@earthling.net
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:12:09 -0700

On 26 Oct 01, at 18:37, Lloyd Kvam wrote:

[snip]
> I have a choice of Gnome and KDE.  Does it matter?  Presumably I
> will be using Tkinter for Python based GUI programming.  Does
> Tkinter care?

I don't think it really matters, but you will probably want to
upgrade to the current python.  Also, some good web frameworks
based on python (as an alternative to CGI) are Zope and Webware:

http://www.zope.org

http://webware.sourceforge.net/

They're both way better than writing your own CGI scripts, but
there's a bit of of a learning curve (well worth it IMHO).

As far as X desktops go, everyone has their preference.  I prefer
Gnome to KDE, but I like Enlightenment best of all.  I'm using E
16.5 right now (it's an easy rpm install on a RedHat box) and I
think it's the coolest thing out there,  but when E 17 comes out it
will blow the doors off of everything else.  I also use BlackBox on
an older laptop (it's very lightweight but functional).  But
nothing looks as cool as the E image rendering...

And make sure you try one of the recent Eterm releases with the
backgrounds.  There are some E screenshots (and one Ximian Gnome)
on one of my cheesy web pages:

http://arnolds.dhs.org/screenshots.html

HTH, Steve

Steve Arnold                           http://arnolds.dhs.org

Java is for staying up late while you program in Python...