[Tutor] problem installing MySQLdb

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:37:48 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Pijus Virketis wrote:

> here is a message I got from my ISP when I asked them to install the
> MySQLdb module:
>
> ------------------------ error message -------------------------
> Hi,
>
> I tried installing the MySQL python module and it gives me this error.
>
> [root@host14 MySQL-python-0.9.1]# python setup.py build
> Traceback (innermost last):
>    File "setup.py", line 6, in ?
>      from distutils.core import setup
> ImportError: No module named distutils.core

Installing new Python modules requires the "Distutils" module installation
system.  Distutils is a system that makes installing Python modules
relatively easy, so that's why MySQLdb uses it.

Distutils been part of Python since 1.6, but since your ISP is running
Python 1.51, you'll want to ask them to install the Distutils as well.

You can find the Distutils system here:

    http://python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/download.html

Good luck!