[Tutor] How to install Pmw for python Tkinter programming

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 12:38:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Ajaya Babu wrote:

> I am just learning Tkinter programming. I came across some book wich
> is using Pmw. But when I try to import Pmw python is giving exception

Ah, are you talking about "Python and Tkinter Programming", by John
Grayson?  If so, be aware that that book does go a bit fast, so please
feel free to ask us questions if the going goes rough.

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in ?
>     import Pmw
> ImportError: No module named Pmw

Python Megawidgets (Pmw) is an addon to Tkinter --- it provides more
widgets to play with, and Grayson uses them a lot in his book.  You can
download Pmw from the Pmw website here:

    http://pmw.sourceforge.net

You should be able to use Winzip to unzip the files into

    C:\Program Files\Python\Pmw

and that should do it.

> another question is book is telling me that there is extensive
> documentation. From where I could get this.

Do you mean documentation on Pmw, or documentation overall about Python?

Good luck to you!