[Tutor] wxPython GUI builder

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 22:23:53 -0400

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 06:58:18AM -0500, Kevin McCormick wrote:
| dman wrote:
[..]
| > For GTK+ (PyGTK) there is glade, and the accompanying 'libglade'
| > library.

| On the subject of PyGTK and Glade, I am a complete newbie.  I have been
| trying some things with Tkinter, but GTK apps are definitely more slick
| looking and I would like to get started with that.  However, I have
| always had trouble getting things like that set up (I have BlackAdder
| beta, but have never taken the time to figure it out).  I really don't
| know where to begin or even how to load the component libraries.  I use
| Linux Mandrake 7.2 (waiting for 8.1) with Python 2.0.

Oh, good, I was afraid you were about to say you were using windows.
I haven't actually used pygtk on windows, but I know that binaries
exist.  Frequently setting up stuff on windows is much harder than
unices.

| Would some users of PyGTK talk about their setup and sources of help for
| beginners?

When I was using RH I simply installed the RPMs.  Now that I am using
Debian I simply use apt-get to download and install the necessary
DEBs.

Could you give an example of what you are trying to do and why it
doesn't work?

If I get some spare time soon, then I could refresh myself on the GTK+
API and give you a "hello world" program that should work.  On my
system I can 'import gtk' and 'window = gtk.GtkWindow() ;
window.show()"  (but I don't remember how to make it actually visible
-- I probably need to put something in it and make it bigger than 0x0)

-D