[Tutor] Python Tool for converting TeX to GIF

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:12:20 -0400

On Tuesday 04 September 2001 01:12, Stephan Richter wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> does anyone know about a tool in Python that will convert TeX to GIFs? I
> mean, it could use some other Unix commands too.
>
> I need it for a Web Site, where someone, can type a math expression using
> TEX and it is then converted, so it can be displayed.
>
> I could really use any hint, since I was out of luck searching through the
> Web.
>
> Regards,
> Stephan

Off-hand, I wouldn't think there'd be such a thing as a Python module,
but ya never know.

The best way I know is to display the TeX in any quality reader, and
use a screen grabber to get the GIF content.

The web is moving the MathML, an XML, for displaying math stuff.  The
Amaya browser is starting to build that in.  There might be a TeX-to-ML
conversion package out there, or in the works.  But you want GIFs....

(In Windows, MathCad used to save screen-based math to lots of
little JPEGs.  Now it has a "Save as MathML option" -- just thought I'd
mention a best-seller as indicative of current trends).

Kirby