[Tutor] How to implement portable message queue betwwen Pytho n application and another application ??

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:44:34 +0100

> | I need to send data from Python interface to the C
> | application which is running indipendently.
> There are many ways of communicating between distributed object.  Some
> of them include XML-RPC, CORBA, SOAP, COM (MS Windows only).

I assumed from the request that the apps were on a
local LAN not distributed widely.
Of course assume makes an ass of u and me...

> advantage of using a standard like these is the communication layer
> has already been implemented for you, you just need to use their
> interface.

I'm not sure its that simple. For XML-RPC you need a web
server available, CORBA needs an orb setting up and IDL
defined, SOAP is also http based I think(but am not sure)

If those things aren't readily available a simple socket
connection is far easier. These protocols are great if you
want to publish an API for several clients on different
platforms need to communicate but if its a case of a
single client talking to acsingle application sockets
are much easier to do.

> You could use some sort of socket and implement your own
> communication protocol, but I think that would likely be
> more work for you.

I disagree if its not for a published API.
OTOH if a public API is the desired end game then yes some
of the suggested protocols might be best. XML-RPC and SOAP
are both XML based and as such are extremely inefficient in bandwidth usage.