[Tutor] Copying file to multiple machines.

Empire Down iconoclast@portalofevil.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:13:14 -0400

I am Sorry, I left out some info. OS is W2K adv Srv and I am admin on all the machines, all the machines are on a LAN, and the target path on all the machines are the same, all going to "all users" start up.

James

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Empire Down  wrote:

>> I am new to python and am trying to copy a file from my >>machine to
>> multiple machines on a network (98 machines) I know this >>can be done
>> simply with a shell script but I have been wanting to learn >>Python and
>> figured this would be somehting simple I could do, though it >>is
>>turning out not to be so simple. I have Mark Hammond book.. >>but i
>>think still need a little assistance.

>You don't mention how you would do it with shell scripts, so I >have no background information to go on. With that in mind, >here comes my zany solution....

>TCP/IP broadcasting/multicasting. On each of the client >machines run a small script that attaches to a socket and >waits for an incoming connection. On your server machine, you >run a script that broadcasts/multicasts the filename followed >by the filecontents. The client then looks at the filename and >dumps the filecontents into the file.

>The client will have to make sure that the connection is >authenticated, and that the filename isn't something >important, like '/etc/passwd'.

>--
>Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio@openservices.net>

Get your own FREE portalofevil.com Email account at...
http://www.evilemail.com

PortalofEvil.com - Websites by the insane for the insane.