[Tutor] Broken os.system() in Windoze

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:53:55 -0400

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 02:59:59PM -0700, Kirby Urner wrote:

| >Or maybe I'm just dreamin'.

This is usually true when using windows <0.5 wink>.

| >Any help/pointers welcome.
| >
| >Kirby
|
| Note:  If I go to a DOS box and boot the Python
| shell in DOS vs. in GUI IDLE (blech), then I'm
| able to import os, os.system("notepad") just fine.
|
| Somehow +already+ being in DOS solves the problem,
| but trying to run os.system("notepad") from within
| the Windows shell results in an error message and
| an exit code of 65413

Check your PATH, make sure that whatever the DOS box is is in your
PATH. (eg command.com)  You should be able to find environment
variables in the Control Panel somewhere.  NT/2k has them under
System, then under the Advanced tab in the System dialog.  I haven't
looked close enough at my brother's system to know about ME.

-D