[Tutor] How to make IDLE show turkish characters properly

Oktay Safak oktay_safak@yahoo.com
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:27:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I am on win98 and use Python version 2.1.1

Does anybody know how to make IDLE show Turkish(or
German or French etc.) characters properly? I change
the defaultencoding by sitecustomize.py, end when I do
sys.getdefaultencoding(), it gives the correct
encoding for Turkish but when I type the special
characters they aren't shown as they should. The
console window gets it right, and also, within IDLE,
when I save some strings containing those characters
to a text file and then inspect the file with Notepad
I see that they are written correctly to the file. So
IDLE actually does the right thing but it covers it up
very well! I tried to change the font in the
configuration file that IDLE uses but that doesn't
help; I think I can't get the name of the font right
this time since it changes from courier to something
like Arial.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Oktay Safak