[Tutor] install on zip disk

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:26:53 -0800

> "Cameron Stoner" <wolf_binary@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> In order to make Python portable between computers that wouldn't necessarily
> have it loaded on, do you think you could install it on a zip disk and still
> be able to run it from another computer that has never had it installed on
> it?  I am going to try, but I don't think it will work, because of possible
> registry entries.  What do you guys think about it.  I want to be able to
> take it to the college lab and be able to work on Python from any computer
> with a zip drive.

This should work, provided that you take care with all your file paths.  Paths and file associations are
really the only thing that Python requires the registry for, and paths can always be explicitly specified.
You might also want to look at Secret Labs' distribution of Python (www.pythonware.com), which specifically
avoids using the registry at all.

Note, however, that the win32all package *does* use the registry, and specifically anything COM related *must*
use the registry.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International