[Tutor] Linux databases

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:46:15 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

> This is not a popular answer in Linux circles since it isn't Open
> Source but I highly recommend Borland's Interbase. It's small, very
> full featured, very scaleable and theres at least some documentation
> available both in help files and in books.

When recommending databases, please specify whether or not they are:

1) relational (in the true Codd & Date sense)
2) what part(s) of the ANSI SQL standard it conforms to. For example,
MySQL doesn't provide transactions or subqueries (though there is some
movement on at least the former).

This will help those who need databases evaluate them without having to
sort through a bunch of marketing hype.

After all, there's people who think Access is a database.

Open source databases:

MySQL, Postgres

Proprietary relational databases for Linux include:

Oracle, Sybase, Informix, DB2, Solid

--
_Deirdre                                              http://deirdre.net
                                                         - Douglas Adams