[Tutor] command line

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:18:58 +0100

> > for user defined classes), graphical debuggers - "a sop
> > to those who don't understand their own code" - to quote
> > one seasoned hack...
> I think we're seeing more of an age-old pattern:  pioneers
> develop a rustic, effective lifestyle, close to the elements,
> They're amazingly competent, with minimalist tools.

Theres almost certainly an element of that but its not
the whole story.

> and cold running water -- they expect, nay demand, what look
> to the pioneers like unnecessary luxuries

But the "pioneers" in this case are soimply more productive
with their primitive techniques. In fact they are far from
primitive and most of them drive their editors(vim or emacs
almost exclusively) to thev limit in search of efficiency
- after all they get paid by results.

Certainly newer programmers using the modern GUI/IDE type tools
are invariavbly slower and less productive.

I guess the real test will be in ten years time when the
current generation have acquired the same length of
experience, will they have increased to the same (or better?)
level of output as the by then retiring coders of today?

Alan g.