[Tutor] impact of OO

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 23:49:52 +0100

> the behavior and how to organize the program.  I am making a
> simple message encryption program and wanted to see if
> implementing OOP practices would be difficult or not.

We need more info.
A "simple message encryption" could be as simple as two
functions - one to encrypt one to decrypt.

> It is not a small program at all.  By the time it will
> be done it will be a couple thousand lines at least.

So what are the features? Multiple algorithms? Multiple
users with keyrings and digital signatures etc etc?

This approach is deprecated these days but works well
for first OO projects. write down a single paragraph
description of your programs function. Underline all
nouns. They are likely objects. If generic or proper
nouns they are probably classes otherwise they are
instances and yuou need to decide what the class will be.

NOw look at the verbs. They are the methods. The subject
of a verb is the object that has the method. Look for
adjectives they will be attributes of the objects.

> could just learn about UML?

Try a search on cetus-links for all things OO including UML.

Also visit the Rational.com web site they have lots of stuff.

But UML is not needed for OO design unless its a biggie

Alan G.