[Tutor] Labels??? and Entry fields

Bryce Embry bryce@bembry.org
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 09:03:34 -0500

In Tkinter, the Entry widget has a method called get() that will retrieve
the information entered in a text field.  I'm a bit new to Tkinter, but a
code like this should do the trick:

from Tkinter import *
root = Tk()
name = Entry(root, width = 30)
name.grid()
         # I use grid as a geometry manager.  You can use name.pack() or
name.place() instead.

# Type stuff into the entry box
username = name.get()
print username

This is a short example from in IDLE.  Most likely, you'll want to set this
up so that it only gets the text when a button is pressed.  Here is a short
script for that:

from Tkinter import *
root = Tk()

Label(root, text = "Enter your name").grid(row = 0, column = 0)

namebox = Entry(root, width = 30)
namebox.grid(row = 1, column = 0)

def getname(event):
     username = namebox.get()
     textbox.insert(END, username)

btn = Button(root, text = "Enter")
btn.bind('<Button-1>', getname)
btn.grid(row = 2, column = 0)

textbox = Text(root, height= 5, width = 20, bg = "blue", fg = "white")
textbox.grid(row = 3, colum = 0)

This script does not compare the text entered to another string.  This is
just a script that gets the text and displays it in a blue box on the
window.  Hope this helps

Bryce Embry
Geek-of-All-Trades, Master-of-None

"Lord, you establish peace for us.